Current time: 10-26-2014, 12:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 63 Votes - 2.83 Average
How does Pueraria Mirifica effect the Thyroid?
08-23-2010, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010 01:00 AM by Ajax.)
How does Pueraria Mirifica effect the Thyroid?
So I'm a male who is using Pueraria Mirifica (500 mg a day) to treat acne and hair loss. Not worried about feminzation but I'm concerned about how this herb interacts with the thyroid gland.

Most phytoestrogens impair thyroid function to some degree but I've read that Pueraria Mirifica actually increases thyroid function. In fact I read one study a while back that was done on rats and it was found that PM increased thyroxine however I have been unable to find any further information on the topic. Can anyone explain to me by what mechanism PM increases thyroid hormone? Is it simply because it lowers estradiol levels and allows the thyroid to function optimally? Would this balance out after a few weeks?

thx in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2010, 11:07 PM
RE: How does Pueraria Mirifica effect the Thyroid?
(08-23-2010 12:52 AM)Ajax Wrote:  So I'm a male who is using Pueraria Mirifica (500 mg a day) to treat acne and hair loss. Not worried about feminzation but I'm concerned about how this herb interacts with the thyroid gland.

Most phytoestrogens impair thyroid function to some degree but I've read that Pueraria Mirifica actually increases thyroid function. In fact I read one study a while back that was done on rats and it was found that PM increased thyroxine however I have been unable to find any further information on the topic. Can anyone explain to me by what mechanism PM increases thyroid hormone? Is it simply because it lowers estradiol levels and allows the thyroid to function optimally? Would this balance out after a few weeks?

thx in advance

Can anyone from Ainterol comment on this?
09-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I posed this question to DR Tapio who responded that there is no negative effects on Thyroid function - but everyone is different and I am not allowed to make medical claims so this as as much as I can answer on this - my opinion is the same as none have ever been reported to me.

William
09-12-2010, 01:29 AM
(09-09-2010 12:17 AM)wflynn Wrote:  I posed this question to DR Tapio who responded that there is no negative effects on Thyroid function - but everyone is different and I am not allowed to make medical claims so this as as much as I can answer on this - my opinion is the same as none have ever been reported to me.

William

Well I've been using one cap for a couple of weeks now and can atest that it doesn't compromise thyroid function. If anything it enhances it. I've become leaner and more toned. My guess is that by displacing more potent estrogens such as estradiol, thyroid binding globulin levels decrease freeing up more thyroid hormones.

Can't say it's helped my skin that much but it's only been a couple of weeks so I'm going to give it more time.